APSCMI / Institut Mérieux Young Investigator Award
Applications now closed - the winner was announced at the closing ceremony of APCCMI 2021.
This year's winner is Farah Naz Qamar, Associate Professor at the Department of Paediatrics and Child Health at the The Aga Khan University, Pakistan.
Infectious disease is a major public health issue worldwide. The Institut Mérieux and its entities have been committed for many years in the fight against infectious diseases in particular the issues with Antimicrobial Resistance. In order to provide an incentive for promising young investigators working in these fields, Institut Mérieux has decided to allocate several awards worldwide to researchers or clinicians at the beginning of their carrier in recognition of a major achievement having significant impact.
Asia-Pacific Society of Clinical Microbiology and infection (APSCMI) is a professional society for clinical microbiologists and infectious diseases specialists in the Asia-Pacific region. Institut Mérieux and APSCMI will launch this young investigator award for researchers or clinicians in the Asia-Pacific Region.
• Researchers and / or Clinicians who are currently serving on a full time basis in hospitals / research institutions / teaching institutions in countries of Asia-Pacific region.
• With less than 10 years of either clinical practice experience or < 10 years of working experience in clinical microbiology after their M.D / Ph.D.
• Involved and made significant contribution to a research work on the topics of antimicrobial resistance, antimicrobial stewardship, innovative methods in faster microbiology diagnosis, innovative methods in using clinical microbiology information for infection prevention and control, clinical education / awareness programmes (regional and / or national) for combating antimicrobial resistance, innovative approach for surveillance on infectious diseases (including MDRO but not limited to), or any similar work in the field of infectious diseases.
• Having collaboration with researchers/ clinicians from other countries of the Asia-Pacific region.
• Indicators of impact from the work could be either publication(s) in prominent international journals and / or implementation of guidelines / protocols having led to significant improvements in the following area.
Selection process and Conditions
• Application forms can be downloaded here. The completed application along with a recommendation letter from the host institution where the nominee is working at the time of application for the award should reach APSCMI through email (email@example.com) on or before 19 October 2021. Use only the provided format.
• Members of executive council of APSCMI will assess the applications and will choose two or three suitable applications, which will be forwarded to the external scientific board of Institut Mérieux with their recommendations for the selection of the laureate. The external scientific board of Institut Mérieux will evaluate the candidature of applicants and choose only one as a laureate for the year 2021. The Institut Mérieux keeps the possibility not to allocate any award if none of the proposal is meeting minimum qualification for the award.
• Institut Mérieux will notify APSCMI the name of the laureate for the year 2021. APSCMI will organize an award ceremony during its 18th Asia-Pacific Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infection (APCCMI), 11-13, November, 2021.
• In order to receive the award money, which is not exceeding €10,000 (Euro Ten thousand), the institution hosting the laureate should engage an agreement with Institut Mérieux. The award money will be transferred only to the hosting institution of the laureate, and the institution will hold responsibility for proper utilization of the support for further research of the laureate.
Contact secretariat@APSCMI.net with any queries.
See previous awardee here.